Saturday, January 31, 2009

The visitors


My house has become the popular neighbhorhood hangout spot. I think its the combination of Rex and the internet connection. It's fairly hot and I don't have a fan in my "office," so I generally sit and work on the couch with the doors open and celiing fan running. So, 7-8 times a day various kids from the neighborhood come streaming through the gate and into my house. They are fascinated with dog training and usually come in to ask me how to get Rex to do some kind of new command. The most recent request - what do we say to get Rex to attack someone?

One grouping of kids lives by my host family's house. They must have heard about Rex and then they just started coming over. They are Malian, but grew up in Congo - so they speak excellent French. They were a bit upset that Rex's commands were in Bambara and not French. As an American, you need to learn to pace yourself through the cycle of interupptions. However, I appreciate my gang as they keep Rex very busy and entertained. I often look at my door and laugh as kids run circles around the mango tree with Rex chasing their heels.

Usually they bring some kind of toys. As I type right now, two kids are rolling matchbox cars underneath me. (There is no school today so the kids can spend extra time here). Often they crowd around behind me and watch me use the computer. If I am trying to do work, I will try to change to the most boring window I can find, usually a word document, to try to get them back to car-rolling and dog-training. Last night about 5 or 6 popped in around 10:00pm. I was conducting English lessons with Drissa's brother, an older neighborhood kid, and one of my research assistants. I decided to entertain their internet fascination and did google searches for various breeds of dogs. After looking at Zumana, pugs, bulldogs, sharpeis, and irish wolfhounds - I decided to call it a night. It was about 11:00 pm. I wonder where they tell their parents they are? We were off training dogs....or I was at my American friend's house.... Or if their parents even ask?

I'm working on this relationship - trying to encourage quiet, independent play and figure out how to activate my army of followers to do some good deeds (or at least household chores).

1 comment:

  1. One day, long after you have taken over Mali, the elders will tell stories of how they used to hang out with your dog...

    ReplyDelete