Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hidden Treasures


Bamako's population is estimated to be somewhere between 1-3 million. However, it often seems like a small town - most times that I go out I meet someone I know (a former co-worker, my little host sisters' friends, basketball players). The great thing about Bamako is that, unlike Ithaca, there are a ton of hidden treasures waiting to be found! This last week was a great example.

My parents graciously purchased a $30 membership for Drissa and I to the American Club. The American club is a mini-suburban oasis in Bamako - they have volleyball Fridays where Americans play volleyball with Bruce and AC DC pumping in the background as gaggles of mixed race expat kids run around the lush grass lawns. It all feels very 4th of July party- until you pinch yourself and realize its march. I had no idea that you could become a member until I saw a flyer. So last Friday, we signed up. On Sat I showed up at my private little country club and there was no one there. I splashed around in the pool by myself and did some work on my laptop under the cabana and then in the air-conditioned dining area. Drissa and I joke that its our second home, cause noone else is there (except for a couple of French kids taking tennis lessons). There are tennis courts, an air-conditioned weight-room, pool, and hi-def movie viewing room. A nice break from the water and power outages in my real home. It's fun to be a faux expat once or twice a week.

Then Sat night, we went out to this AMAZING live music spot less than a kilometer from Drissa's parents house. It's free entry, great live band with rotating singers, and a lively dance floor. The crowd sits under the palm tree covered grounds sipping $1.25 beers. Much props to the mayor of Bamako -Brandon- for finding this place. I cannot believe I been there before; it is the Bamako nightlife I have always fantasized about and its 3 days a week every week! Everyone was super friendly and really into the music. At one point, I was swept up to the dance floor by a drunk, 60 something patron and thrown around in an attempt at salsa.

Sunday, we hosted a rooftop party in honor of the mayor's 10th anniversary in Bamako, his friend's first and only Sunday in Bamako, the prophet's bday and international woman's day. I strung up x-mas lights and we drank dabalini (hibiscus flower and sugar) cocktails with a various assortment of Bamako based Americans.

2 comments:

  1. wow - this all sounds amazing! What a week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lemme get this straight. Chilling at the expat club, swinging to live music, and hobnobing with the mayor?!

    Are you looking for anymore RAs? Will transform variables for food......

    ReplyDelete