Friday, March 20, 2009

Kalaban Sports Club


So 3 times a week, I head back to the first neighborhood that I ever lived in in Mali - Kalabancoura. I return to a dusty cement basketball court - where I first played in 2002. The court is surrounded by open space where there are usually multiple soccer games (official and pickup) taking place. This kind of large public space is rare for Bamako these days -its about 2 football fields by 4 football fields large. While its great to see hundreds of kids playing side by side - the lack of houses and trees mean that its a mini-dustbowl. (I am convinced that this dust was the source of my mysterious throat swelling).

The space is surrounded by a large public school, a mosque and madrassas, and the houses of the two coaches - Amadou and Kamba. I've known Amadou for 7 years now. He is amazing. He started out as a public school teacher - was posted in Mopti for a while and then was pulled into the Min of Ed's primary department. He used to be an awesome basketball player - I know because he used to play with us back in 2002. He and his friends used to play on this court and he was one of the leaders in securing aid from a French foundation to re-do it. Amadou coaches every day as soon as he gets off work until around 7:30. Kamba is a university student - finishing up his thesis. He also comes every day - often morning and night for double sessions - and gives free tutoring to those kids preparing to take the bac.

Unlike most other clubs in Bamako - ours is free. All the coaches are volunteers with day jobs. This helps to contribute to our high numbers of girls and the diverse socioeconomic backgrounds of the players. There are about 80 some kids who come every night - a group of novices, a middle group of boys and girls, and then the oldest boys. I work primary with the 14-16 year old girls and then sometimes go play with the older boys. It's pretty cool cause one of the girls that was just starting to play in 2002 now plays for one of Mali's best female teams and also joins -as well as another former female player who just comes to work out with the older boys. In the US it would be rare to see this kind of gender integration on the court past the age of 13 or so.

When I coach - its a mix of French and Bambara. When Kamba works with me he translates into Bambara - when I go solo I use a lot of demonstration to make my point. I present the toughest, strictest version of myself here as the levels of discipline on the court aren't really up to US standards.

We are working on a Self Help Grant from the Embassy to try to electrify our court - which would enable us to work more hours and add mores kids. In 2007, my mom helped organize a sneaker collection and when she, my aunt, and dad visited they donated their suitcase space to bring over 100s of pairs of shoes. The team and the kids were sooo excited. I would like to do this again, the problem is that the shipping costs are prohibitive. Unless someone is flying over - FEDEX is like $400 for 20 lbs. Argghh the dilemma of being land-locked and in Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment