Monday, April 13, 2009

Out on the town

Drissa went off to San (its the town right after Blah) for the weekend and left me home in Bamako. As such, I decided it would be an appropriate time to go out on the town. Friday I had meetings downtown, and then went to coach a basketball game. It's the first time my girls every played a real game and though we lost, they were fearless and I was proud of them. The other team hit about 60% from the 3 pt line, so that was pretty crazy. Meanwhile, we don't have any plays yet or any defensive systems - so it was a good first outing for us. So I tried to get back over the bridge(s) to take a shower and then go out to this US military party I had heard about. Unfortunately, traffic was so crazy - I barely made it over either bridge and decided to stop close by to meet fellow American (and Kiva Fellow) Jessica to get a beer cross back over the bridge. Hence, I was not in any kind of cute going out attire - some African print pants, dirty feet (which I tried unsuccesfully to wash in the bathroom), and a t shirt. Regardless, we headed back over the bridge to the soldier's house - which oddly is in the same neighborhood of former Malian dictator Moussa Traore's home. (In fact, that's how you tell the taxi where you are going: an be taa Moussa Traore ka so karafe). We got to the party and we not disappointed. Super hospitality, imported beef and bacon, and a full, free bar. You'll be happy to know our soldiers are living well in Africa - huge house with pool over-looking the Niger river. I was able to borrow a t-shirt and shorts to go swimming in this amazing pool. Eventually I made it back to my comfortable air-conditioned room!

Saturday - I slept in until the afternoon. This would be impossible without my airconditioner as the heat wakes you up by 8 usually. It was the first day of doing nothing - I basked in the cold after-glow of my airconditioning during the afternoon then went to an election meeting for my Aunt who is running for mayor. Election season is now in full effect - there are flyers everywhere, flat bed trucks with music and dancers, dance parties, and soccer games - all ringing in the upcoming local elections. This meeting was organized to hand out flyers - representatives from the 10 areas that make up our commune were given posters to put up. It's hilarious to be in a Malian meeting - everything is extremely democratic - everyone gets his or her turn to say his piece. Unfortunatley, in this atmosphere of tolerance and equality - some people like to hear their own voices - hence lots of repetition -to the point where I am like - come on guys - let's just do this!!! But Malians are more patient. Some verbal fighting and insults broke out, people faked like they were leaving the meeting, but it all ended in laughter in the end... gotta love Mali for that.

After the meeting met Jessica at my favorite bar - le Flamboyant and then headed to meet another new friend Abigail en route to a club called No Stress. The club was fun - we danced till 4 am with the owner (who I had met at Festival in the desert - my brother tommy aka Zander had performed in his tent). I retired again near morning time to my room and wallowed in the AC. I slept until Drissa returned from his trip and then slept some more! What a wonderful, indulgent lazy weekend - all facilitated by an airconditioner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment