Sunday, April 5, 2009

Segou is the best "gou"

Today felt like that scene from the stranger - where the main character is walking on the beach and the sun is so hot that he decides to murder someone. I always thought - crazy existentialist literature - how could weather ever effect your emotions in such a radical way. That was before I experienced peak hot season. I had an itinerary today - but instead - i asked Drissa to take me home - so I could take 6 showers and sit under 2 fans.

What made this heat so awful is that I spent Friday and Sat in beautiful Segou. I was about at my breaking point with this heat, so I asked Drissa if we could escape to sleepy, breezy, tree lined, colonial Segou; he said yes. Coincidentally, the day before we planned to leave - I found out that I got some extra cash $$ for my research project. Thus, my escape became a full fledged vacation. We spent a day and a half eating well, drinking wine by a river, taking naps in air-conditioning, and breathing in the pollution-free air. I feel in love with Africa again.

We were joined by Art History Fulbrighter Paul and his wife Marie. It was great - everything was slow and indulgent and easy. We even went sight seeing at the Markala dam and bought some fresh fish right off the river.

Then was the sad 3 hour drive to Bamako. Upon entering city limits you could feel the heavy air starting to clog your lungs - like the Wump world after the pollutants come. I went from my air-conditioned, IKEA-adorned hotel in Segou to sleeping on my mat on the roof. I awoke with soot covering my bed and sheet. Welcome back to Bamako. With the peak temps of today (113)- we resolved to buy a refridgerator. Cold mangoes and cold water would make things much more bearable.

1 comment:

  1. oh jaimie. im sorry you are so uncomfortable. If you get a refrigerator you should put your pjs in there before you get ready for bed so you have really chilly pjs. Sounds weird, but maybe it will help. Or at least put damp socks in there so you put on really cold socks when you go to sleep - I think that can help. Yay refrigerator - it will make a difference for sure. Your little vacation sounds very nice. and congrats on the additional money - where did it come from?

    hugs

    ReplyDelete